Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Farewell Letter to My Beloved Siah

                                                                                                                                


                                                                                                                                    July 28, 2026

I want to tell you something,

so there won’t be any doubt,

you’re so wonderful to think of,

but so hard to be without.

 

I cannot bring back the old days,

when we were together,

but your place next to me is empty wherever I go in this house,

with my broken and lonely heart.  

 

My Beloved Siah,

I am writing this letter to tell you how much I miss you; how life without you feels so void of meaning.

I want you to know why I betrayed your trust and let you go over the rainbow bridge, out of my reach forever.

In May I felt a lump on your side while caressing you. Dr. Alexander, your veterinarian, was unable to feel a lump after thoroughly examining you. I asked her to do your annual exam, which was due next November, so as not to inconvenience you later.

All tests came back normal, except for a slightly elevated pancreatic enzyme level.

In late June, I noticed a decrease in your appetite, an increase in your water intake, and abnormally small feces in the litter box. I also thought you had a fever. Again, Dr. Alexander could not find anything. She gave you a slow-release antibiotic for any possible infection.

Upon my request, she also took an X-ray of your abdomen to see if there was an obstruction in the colon to explain how your bowel movements had changed. The X-ray showed dark spots in the lymph nodes. That worried us. We made an appointment for an ultrasound on the morning of July 6.

On Monday morning, July 6, I took you for the ultrasound. Dr. Alexander called at about 12 O’clock with the bad news that you have late-stage lymphoma that has spread to your vital organs.”

My heart sank.

My beloved Siah,

I had witnessed Lulu, a feral black male cat whom I brought home from Darby Road, who was diagnosed with lymphoma. A prescription of prednisone kept him alive for six weeks while he grew thinner. When he stopped eating altogether, I had to euthanize Lulu at five o’clock in the morning to spare him more agony, if not any possible pain.

I loved you even more than I did Lulu because we spent nine years together. I did not want you to suffer as Lulu did.

I agreed with Dr. Alexander to prepare to euthanize you. I drove as fast as I could to be with you while sobbing the entire time.

When they brought you to the examination room, you looked afraid and confused. I held you in my arms and kissed you to comfort you. There has been nothing more painful in my life than to euthanize my cat companions to save them from more agony when they were very sick.

As you were placed on the examination table with a catheter on your hind leg, I leaned over to shower you with kisses and tears to say goodbye and to hope that I was comforting you. Dr. Alexander injected you with a strong dose of a sedative that immediately made you unconscious. She then delivered the drug that stopped your heart. She then helped me to regain my composure by giving me a sympathetic hug.

That is how you went over the rainbow bridge, forever beyond my reach.

Your death was the finality, not just of you as a person but of our loving relationship. You, especially after Panther, who died over a year ago, were my companions and main source of joy. I have always prayed to the universe to divide anything left of my life so the three of us could live and die together (Here is my Farewell to Panther).

When you died, you turned from a person into a memory. By losing our loving relationship, I have lost part of my soul and part of my heart.

My beloved Siah,

Do you remember the first time we met?  It was an evening in the summer of 2017. While I was serving dinner to Latte, Echo, and Max, three feral cats by the creek near the mailboxes, you appeared seemingly out of nowhere, an unneutered muscular black male cat with a big head and extra-long fangs who just walked past us without looking at us or showing any interest in the food I was serving. You walked straight in the direction of the marijuana farm. I worried that you were yet another feral cat on the marijuana farm, as were the three cats I was taking care of. 

I did not see you again for a couple of months until one evening you showed up in the western garden of the house. At the time, I lived with Panther and Sunny. Panther, a tuxedo-clad, muscular male cat, chased you away.

However, you kept coming back. And I had to break up fights between Panther, who was defending his territory, and you several times.

As I was welcoming you, Panther grudgingly conceded some space to you. You began coming to rest on the somewhat flat boulder in the succulent garden by the steps to the front door of the house. Panther sat across the steps on the retaining wall to keep a close eye on you. It became clear to me that you wanted to live with me in the house. I named you Siah, which means black in Farsi. I put a towel on top of the flat rock so you would be comfortable. I began serving you canned food, which you ate with great appetite. I spent time sitting by you and talking to you. You gained confidence to explore the garden and liked to sit under the rosemary bush opposite the front door.  It gave you a shady, safe spot, and you could also get a glimpse of the house's interior as I left the front door wide open.

Until that time, I had never touched you. To break the ice, one evening I leaned against the retaining cement wall by the rosemary bush with my back to you. After some time, you approached me, smelled me, and then took a superficial bite of my bare arm and ran away.

Although my arm was bleeding, I was very happy because I knew it was the behavior of a cat that likes me but is too afraid to get close to me yet. It was a sign of affection, tinged with a slight fear of the unknown, not an angry attack. Later, when we became great friends, you liked to bite my hand and arm gently as a sign of affection. Nuppy, the first cat I became friends with, also a muscular male cat, expressed his love by biting me gently.

My beloved Siah,

You remember how every evening before I closed the front door to go to bed, I asked you: “Do you want to come in, Siah?” You did not, and soon after I closed the door, you went away; I did not know where. I feared for your safety as there were coyotes in the area.

You gradually came into the house, and one evening in October, you walked into a trap I had set for you, with tuna inside. I took you to VCA PetCare East Veterinary Hospital in Santa Rosa. The next day you were examined, vaccinated, and neutered. The veterinarian who examined you estimated, based on your teeth, that you were probably about 5 years old in 2017. 

*     *     *

Within a month after you came into the house, I lost Sunny to kidney failure and lung cancer (Here is my Farewell to Sunny).  Sunny was a gift to me on Christmas of 2011, when I found a tiny orange cat under the mailboxes. A female cat, she was pure sweetness and quickly bonded with me. Sunny was a lap cat, which I had never had before. She and I watched movies together, and she slept next to me on the bed each night. Somehow, the universe sent you to be with me as I was about to lose Sunny.

My beloved Siah,

You remember how you and Panther fought so badly every so often that I had to take one of you to Analy Veterinary Hospital for treatment. But you gradually accepted each other and shared the house. Panther liked sleeping in the loft, and you preferred sleeping with me. It was wonderful to see the two of you resting next to each other. A few times, I saw Panther licking your face. Sometimes you slept next to each other on top of the refrigerator where there is hardly room for two large cats. Panther also preferred to make his morning and night rounds in the neighborhood. You, on the other hand, were a home buddy, preferring to stay close to me.

Thus, I spent a lot more time with you than I did with Panther, although I brushed him each morning and played with him with a feathered wand while he lay on his side on the step to the loft.

When Panther died in March of 2025, it hurt me deeply because I felt I did not express my love for him as much as I did for you. I mourned him for three months, and he was on my mind daily for about a year.

My Beloved Siah,

As you may know, for me, it is as important, if not more important, to give love as to receive it. You provided me with ample opportunities to express my love for you and expressed your affection for me daily.

You followed me wherever I went around the house or in the garden to help me carry out my daily tasks.  When I sat down to write, eat my meal, or watch a show, you sat by me. It was such a pleasure when you and Panther walked with me to give treats for the neighborhood goats or when I went to the Yoga Room to exercise. We were like a small family.

When I sat in bed to put drops in my eye for glaucoma after my daily shower, about five in the afternoon, you sat on my lap facing me. This was quality time for us as I caressed you with the tip of my fingers, starting by the sides of your mouth, going over your whiskers, around your ears, and across you back to your tail.  I could see in your eyes that you were relaxing and becoming very comfortable, stretching your body, your head on my chest, along my body, while gently purring. 

At bedtime, we repeated this ritual, except I was lying down to sleep and would grab you and lay you down on my side, my head near yours, and I would shower you with kisses while telling you how much I loved you. Your body relaxed, and you purred softly. This lasted a short time as you would move down to sleep between my legs, using my knee as your pillow after grooming yourself.

You knew that after a while I had to pull my leg out from under your body so I could sleep on my side. But even then, I would press you with my calves.

Sometime during the night, you would come up to put your head in my armpit or on my shoulder while laying your body alongside mine. I knew you needed affection, so I kissed you, ran my hand along your body, and wrapped you with the sheet that covered me. We then both fell asleep, for you briefly because you preferred sleeping between my legs.

At night, when I had to use the bathroom, you would follow me, pressing your head against my leg. I knew you wanted me to walk you to the food buffet in the living room. As I headed that way, I talked to you sweetly to you. I then encouraged you to eat what you liked. After you started eating, I walked back to go to bed. You soon joined me, and we fell asleep.

My beloved Siah,

Sometimes when I lay in bed next to you at night, I reconsider my life, which I feel very grateful for, as I think I have done much of what I wanted. Except for a lack of a lasting romantic relationship. My relationship with cats, especially with you, has convinced me that I could be fulfilled and very happy in any loving relationship. We loved each other without expectations or reservations. I was always happy being with you, except when you were not feeling well, and that was because I did not want you to suffer or I did not want to lose you. In our social culture, the emphasis on romantic love is an exaggeration.  Love is the answer, love of being.

After being with twenty feral cats in my life, I know how cats and other nonhuman animals suffer at the hands of humans. In your case, I often wondered why a cat as sweet as you was dumped in this neighborhood. Until I noticed a trauma you might have suffered. You were as fearful of little girls’ screeching voices as of seeing a coyote near the house. You would run inside, go straight to the loft, and hide under the bed. I hypothesize that you had probably lived in a house with a small girl and were probably adopted as her “pet.” She treated you as if you were her toy, handling you in ways you did not like; she would chase you, screaming at you. At some point, you might have scratched the little girl, and that is why you were dumped in this neighborhood.

My beloved Siah,

I have been wondering why we discovered advanced lymphoma that had invaded your vital organs without any advanced warning from your veterinarians.

Looking through your veterinarian records, I discovered that two years ago, in June 2024, Dr. Baldwin, then your veterinarian, had referred you to TruVet Specialty in Petaluma. The referral note by Dr. Baldwin reads: “Recent history ~6 months of waxing and waning lethargy, not eating/drinking, afebrile- transiently responsive to supportive care.” That referral was made after I took you to see Dr. Baldwin three times for the same ailment.

At TruVet, they hospitalized you for two nights and ran a battery of tests that again found nothing. I met with a veterinarian for a consultation. Instead, I received a phone call from the lead veterinarian, whose name I do not recall, who explained to me how to treat you with Prednisone. She did not give me a diagnosis.

Dr. Baldwin, who must have received a report from TruVet, did not tell me what they had found or why Prednisone treatment was prescribed. I only knew that it worked. You started eating and drinking normally within 10 days!  I was so happy that I did not pursue the question of why it was prescribed and why it worked.

After reading about lymphoma in cats after you were gone, I realize that you might have had an early case of lymphoma that was treated successfully with Prednisone. The disease went into remission. But it never goes away. It came back with vengeance.

Had I been informed, would it have made a difference in planning your care in the past two years?

My beloved Siah,

I cannot help but consider that if you were my child treated like this by the medical profession, it would be considered gross negligence and malpractice.

Why are veterinarians not held to the same standards? Without a doubt, because in our society the lives of nonhumans are considered less valuable than those of humans or even subordinated to them, as in the case of billions of farm animals being slaughtered for food for humans.

My Beloved Siah,

Our relationship was so central to my life that I miss you everywhere I go, and in most things I do. One day soon after I lost you, I truly felt I had no reason to live. Nothing as important as you exists in my life.

Still, I console myself that if you were born in 2012, then you did live a long life. All of us arrive on the planet with an expiration date. The second law of thermodynamics: the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. A hot cup of coffee gets cold over time. I venture to say that the last nine years of your life, at least, were comfortable and filled with love and affection between us.

I do not believe in the afterlife. But if there is one, I pray to join you in cat heaven to rekindle our love for each other for an eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment